If you want a look inside an older iMac look here.
<http://home.comcast.net/~woojo/DFFA53A0-F23D-4541-9015-481FD3B6532E/iMac_Disassembly.html>

I agree with Tom it isn't worth opening the case for this.  Buy a
firewire hard drive enclosure and just mount a hard drive in that.
You can easily pull a drive to keep as a long term backup it is only a
few screws.  Given how the time machine backup works you will want
external hard drive for that.

On Nov 7, 2007 7:12 AM, Tom Piwowar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >on my peeceez, I buy a drive, find a cable and power floating around in
> >the machine and connect the drive.  the drive hangs loose.  I can clone
> >the C drive in a very short time.  I then just pull and label the drive
> >and put it in a stack with other drives.  can this be done with an iMac?
> >I know there is no room in that case. but are there cables and power
> >floating around?  took forever to write to the external, and I know she'll
> >over write it.
>
> Google on "iMac replace hard drive" and you will see why you do not want
> to open your wife's computer. Step one involves using suction cups to
> pull the glass off the front of the computer. USB or FireWire is so much
> easier.
>
> If it took forever to write to the external drive then you probably don't
> have high-speed USB.
>
> >I know its got to be tight inside the little box.  I don't understand how
> >they cool the processor.  I have not opened the thing to look
> >inside(wife's computer) and do not hear any fans running.
>
> There are two fairly large squirrel cage fans.

> * New address? From OLD address send: CHANGE COMPUTERGUYS-L YourNewAddress
> * Need more help? Send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> * Messages bearing the header "X-No-Archive: yes" will not be archived

John Duncan Yoyo