Why do millions of people use something crappy and
smile about it?

They have been educated, or trained, or raised to
believe that
the substandard is the norm and have lowered their
expectations
about performance. I'm speaking in general here, not
about NAV.

[rant]
fill in the blanks [health insurance coverage, foreign
policy, domestic policy, political fundraising, tax
codes, trade policy, penal system, operating system X,
application W, system utility Y, electoral
college,food supply safety, toy safety, social policy,
two party systems, fast food, the price of oil and
petroleum products, air quality ]
[/rant]

I'l sometimes put a machine I'm working on with a
Brand Y operating system into a diagnostic or 'safe
mode' and the performance will increase by three times
or more. I then ask myself: Isn't this how
it should be in 'normal' startup? Yes, performance
will vary from
machine to machine because of CPU speed and RAM
memory, but on the same machine, when it operates
three or four times better, that's
a substantial increase in performance.

I'm sure if I loaded DOS as the OS onto the machine
that it would scorch my eyeballs out from the sheer
blazing speed.

As to NAV, People want to be safe. It is inconceivable
that you can
have all three: safety, reliability , and speed
simultaneously.

It is unfathomable that a safety product could cause
problems as well as fix them.

Rocky

>Date:    Wed, 28 Nov 2007 22:49:19 -0500
>From:    Tony B <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: removing Norton
>
>Note that, like many things you read on the internet,
the suggestion
>that removing Norton Antivirus will help whatever
problem you're
>having is probably inaccurate. Every time you hear 1
(or 10 or 20)
>members bash [fill in the blank
software/hardware/OS], you have to >ask
>yourself: "If it's so bad, why do a million other
people use it with

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> One subscriber mentioned that I would need a
special tool from
 >Norton's
>> website to really get their AV off of my computer.
>>
>> can anybody help me locate this? Norton is not
exactly forthcoming

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs