Well, back to grasping at straws, have you tried a Registry Cleaner? Just anecdotally, as a certified non-expert, I found Registry First Aid to be helpful without doing too much, and System Mechanic to be both helpful and dangerous because it did do too much.

Another thought - have you tried running the Secunia Software Inspector? http://secunia.com/software_inspector/ Maybe it will find something missing.

Jeff Wright wrote:
If you have the data backed up, you should be able to install 2006 to a
clean system (one that never had ACT! Installed on it) and then import the
data, assuming that v. 2008 didn't convert the data to a new format (table
structures, attributes, etc.).

Disclaimer: I don't have any experience with ACT!, but this is what I would
try. Also, the few times I've needed to call MS's support, it was very
good. In one instance, we discovered a bug and they refunded the $245 fee
to us.

Considering how Sage has left you holding the bag, I would consider another
product, if possible.