First tell us if Windows Movie Maker works okay. Capture, edit, render?

Oh wait. That's some odd version of the new AVCHD codec. You may be on
your own with that one. I've never tried it.

You can always try the Sony Vegas trial (free to try):
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/step2.asp?DID=734