David Turk sez:

>I have some video clips on a DVD I'd like to get into iMovie, but
>Importing doesn't seem to work.  Any thoughts?  tia.
>
>           david

iMovie will import many video file types, but not the VOB files that
make up DVD movies. (Licensing issues, I believe.) You'll need to first
convert the DVD using another tool. I've used the following:

Handbrake: Free, open-source, but not necessarily easy to use (there
have been changes to the current version 0.9.1 since the v0.8.5 I have
used, so the interface may be better now, if still a bit techie)
<http://handbrake.fr/>

Roxio's Popcorn: Costs $49.99, but has a fairly intuitive interface and
can be used for a lot more conversion duties easily
<http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/popcorn/standard/overview.html>

Remember that DVD video is compressed from the original. So when you
convert it and then edit it, if you then put it back on a DVD it'll be
compressed again and may lose quality further.

--
Michael Lewis
Off Balance Productions