> > So Sun paid $1,000,000,000 for MySQL in order to kill it? What a
> > theory!  Do these companies really have that kind of money to burn?
>
> Larry Ellison does.  And that is Dvorak's conspiracy theory.

I think, there's a hole in that theory.  MySQL is an open source
product.  For the sake of the argument, let's say that Sun is able to
stagnate the mysql project.  But there are several thousand copies of
the mysql project source tree out in the internet.  As with any open
source project, there's a core group of people (whom, I think, Sun has
aquired) and there's a larger group of people who follow the devel
discussions, participate in hackathons, and submit ideas, hacks, code
improvements, feature requests, etc.  So, if Sun/MySQL starts to
stagnate, a new core group of coders will emerge with the last pre-Sun
code base, (call it OpenSQL or some-such) and will move forward.  Good
bye Larry and Sun.

Mr. Ellison should worry more about Postgres, IMHO, than MySQL.
Postgres is the heavier-weight of the two and has better authentication
integration, etc and, is in a better position to challenge Oracle.
In most LAMP implementations, Postgres is a drop-in replacement for MySQL.

I think Sun wanted to buy mysql because they are tired of hearing of the
LAMP stack.  Sun will offer a Sun-branded version of MySQL, just like
OpenOffice/StarOffice.  (Look in the mysql.com site and you will see
that they offer a Community Server for free and Enterprise server for
pay.)  Sun wants to offer an end-to-end solution stack based on industry
standard products, but with their Sparc hardware (they've been doing
32-core systems for years now), Solaris (slow-laris, as some might say),
and their own, supported MySQL.

Sun also wants to improve on their claim that they've offered more lines
of code to the open source community than any other company.  They have
open-sourced Java and Solaris.  They invented NFS.  DTrace is in MacOSX
and is also in the open community.  Apple is going to use ZFS filesystem
in OSX.  OpenSparc is an open HW reference standard that Sun has
put out.  So, Sun does not have a track record of squashing innovation.

I don't think Dvorak's conspiracy theory is a very good one.  Read some
of the reader-comments to that article.