InDesign will open PageMaker files-in part.  It will change things
around a bit.  You can find particulars on Adobe's website (I googled
"PageMaker files in InDesign" to find it).

InDesign is really more than you need for a short newsletter, but if the
person who's doing the files sticks to the essentials, it shouldn't be
too confusing.  (On the other hand, it will let your successor do a heck
of a lot, if they are motivated to take extra time and do something
really fancy!) The new version is much better than PageMaker or Quark.
(I'm taking a design course that uses the newest release of InDesign [CS
3], and so far, I'm impressed.)  InDesign also plays well with files
from the other Adobe apps.  It's cross-platform, in case your successor
has a Windows PC instead of a Mac.

One downside: InDesign is expensive.  Sometimes you can get good deals
from software makers for nonprofits; I don't know if Adobe does this.
If your successor is a student, he/she can get a huge educational
discount (especially since the work will be done pro bono); try
journeyed.com, for example.  They're fast and reliable, and the only
validation of student status you need is a scan of your current, valid
student ID or your course schedule.

Two suggestions: 1) have your successor go to the nearest Barnes &
Noble-or, better yet, to Reiter's Bookstore in downtown DC-and look at
the Visual Quickstart Guides, to see which app he/she is most compatible
with.

2)       I'll bet people on this list know of freeware or shareware
programs that will turn out an OK newsletter.  I hope they post some
suggestions: I'd like to know, too.

--Constance Warner

.