You read my mind. Your description of the travails
of tech people trying to get citizenship made me
think "why would the US let people when we have
indentured servitude (i.e., the H1 visa program).
In the past, H-1 was a potentially a threat to my livliehood
and then I worked with H1 visa guys and realized what
an exploited bunch they are.  If the visa weren't tied
to specific vendors and hence visa-holders
could jump to other firms,
their wages would quickly approach the market rates
(and businesses would stop supporting the program).

--- db <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Border/ travel security is the least of it.
>
> The best technical talents from all over the world are looking less
> and
> less to the US for jobs because of the disadvantageous work visa and
> naturalization situation in the US.
>
> I have an extremely well educated, and talented Indian friend who has
>
> been working for Amazon in the US for 4 years.  After bucking the US
> naturalization process for 4 years, he has decided, like many of his
> friends that he is going to emigrate to Canada, get a job there and
> quit
> amazon because he can become a citizen there in 1 - 1/2 years (with
> his
> skills but even WITHOUT a job) where in the US he it is probably he
> will
> have to wait for 7 years.
>
> Presently, every 3 years during his work visa renewal process he
> can't
> leave the US for travel purposes for 6 months and if he lost his
> Amazon
> job he would have to leave the US in 7 days (this varies from state
> state) making  it very difficult to change jobs unless he can make it
>
> seamless and making his life in general no more than a transient one.
>
> Because of this situation, he hasn't bought a house here although he
> can
> well afford one...
>
> He well paid but treated like a indentured servant.   And now that he
>
> can get paid equally well elsewhere he and many like him are leaving
> the US.
>
> db
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > I'm sorry, my post was a direct response to the previous comment
> regarding airport security in France.  I don't recall the original
> post.  I can't recall having personally had any problems with
> Customs.  I think they mostly harass foreigners.  However it
> distresses me that there are people who are discouraged from
> travelling to the US because of horror stories they've heard
> regarding US customs, despite the favorable exchange rate.
> >
> > On 2/9/08 19:35, "David Chessler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> >> Read it again. It's not the TSA. It's customs, and it's not clear
> >> what threat they're defending against: pornography, or perhaps you
>
> >> have some drugs in your hard drive.

> > * New address? From OLD address send: CHANGE COMPUTERGUYS-L
> YourNewAddress
> > * Need more help? Send mail to:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> www.mail-archive.com/computerguys-l@listserv.aol.com/
> > * RSS at
> www.mail-archive.com/computerguys-l@listserv.aol.com/maillist.xml
> > * Messages bearing the header "X-No-Archive: yes" will not be
> archived

> * New address? From OLD address send: CHANGE COMPUTERGUYS-L
> YourNewAddress
> * Need more help? Send mail to:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> [...]

Checkout One Laptop Per Child project laptop.org