At 02:36 PM 2/10/2008, Fred Holmes wrote:
Can the data which is encrypted/hidden by truecrypt be backed up by an "ordinary" backup program that catalogs the files on the source and backup drives, and copies new/newer files to the backup drive? Is there special backup software provided to accomplish backups?

My reading of the documentation is that if the Truecrypt device driver is running, any normal program can access the file normally. If the device driver is not running, than the file cannot be identified by any other software. There are a couple of possible problems with paging files, the registry, and a few other things, but the Truecrypt documentation gives work arounds.

You can also run it from a USB memory drive, but check the drive's specifications: some of these move the data around to keep from wearing them out. Truecrypt docs explain the problem.

The program can be run from a server, or from a disk, and thus need not be on the computer. All the data can also be on the server. If you can set up a virtual private network (VPN), that makes it easy to be safe. Otherwise, keep your backup on line on one of the online backup servers (or your company's server), and keep Truecrypt on the backup server, and download and install it as needed, and remove it when done.

Make sure you have some disk-wiping software to remove traces of the program and data, or to explain why you don't have the data on your disk.

It's not something I think I need at present, though I know people who do need it because they may travel with confidential data that is commercially valuable, and may travel to one of the many countries where it is reputed that the police or security services are support the commercial interests of the country.

Fred Holmes