I followed your advice about unplugging the USB devices. I also unplugged the power supply even tho some were switched off. As I plugged them back in, some became active and some didn't so I repeated the operation for the ones that were still not active. Eventually all became active again.

Brian Jones wrote:
The USB drivers are included in WIN XP.  They will install automatically.
It almost sounds like maybe you have a USB device plugged in that may have been damaged or changed by the power fail/surge. Try unplugging all USB, then reboot to see if you get the message again. Then plug in each USB device to see which one no longer has a device driver associated with it. That will be your culprit.

If you get the message without any USB devices plugged in, then:
go to your DEVICE MANAGER (right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, then the HARDWARE tab). Expand the USB controllers, then right click on each item in this list and delete it (if it will allow you to). You must have at least power user privledges to do this. Reboot, and XP will detect and reinstall fresh drivers for each USB root. Finally, plug in your devices and watch for errors.

If XP cannot install drivers for the USB ports, then the USB section on your Motherboard may be damaged. Purchase an aftermarket USB card and pop it into your slots. Get one with the latest firewire port for good measure.

You mentioned that the BIOS had changes in it... check it again to see if the USB ports may have been disabled (this could cause the message you are seeing). Not all BIOS can disable the USB ports, so don't worry if you don't see them. If you BIOS was changed during the power surge, you might want to blast a new image into your BIOS... Either use the 'RESET BIOS' sequence or download the latest BIOS upgrade from your manufacturer. (be VERY careful to get the right one!)

 Good Luck!
  - Brian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [CGUYS] USB drivers missing

This morning an ice storm hit my house and the power went out. After it was restored, my computer wouldn't boot because the setup menu was all changed (hard drives not recognized, etc.) I restored everything but now can't get the USB ports working. The driver is not found in Device Manager.

Upon booting Windows XP SP2, a "found new hardware" message is received. A wizard then tries to find the USB driver on the internet but then reports that none can be found.

What do I need to do to restore USB function?