You don't say what model minidisc you have.

The latest models of Sony minidiscs can transfer files directly to the PC via a USB cable. The Sony software that comes with the minidisc is called SonicStage. It is essentially a drag-and-drop operation to transfer minidisc file between PC and minidisc. As an option, an encoded minidisc track can be converted to wav format.

Some of the other features of the latest models: record time ranges from about 7 hours to 40 hours per disk depending on compression desired, can record without compression (84 minutes), rechargeable battery life is 15 hours, the battery is charged via USB cable whenever it is connected to the PC, mp3 files can be transferred and played by the minidisc, and editing of the minidisc tracks can be done on the PC.

Robert Michael Abrams wrote:
Before I go to Best Buy or Circuit City with this issue, I'd like to bounce it off folks who I trust to give me reasonable answer, if they have one, and who will say so if they don't. Here goes:

I run WinXP (SP2, IIRC) and have RealPlayer 11.01 (Build 6.0.14.794, but who's counting?), and I want to be able to use either the digital or analog outputs (digital would necessarily be better, but that isn't critical) of a Sony MD to get music from MiniDisc tracks onto my PC's hard drive (ideally into RealPlayer, but that isn't necessarily critical, unless, of course, it is, and I just don't know it), and in a form that can be read and played by RealPlayer. My fantasy, and that's all it is, is that there is a device which can connect to an/the MD output/s, on one end, and, on the other, there is a USB plug, or something equally Joseph-proof. Or, a device which connects either or both of the MD outputs to the input banana plugs in back of my Dell Dimension, might also do the trick, assuming such a thing exists. I also have a CO2 (coaxial/optical two-directional) convertor (44K) that I have already used (6 or 7 years ago, and not since) with the MD's analog outputs, but I have no idea if it will, does, or should work with the PC.

Also, I am willing to read up on the subject, if that will result in an appropriate fix, so if any of you can tell me of a "Transferring MiniDisc Tracks To Your PC Media Player For Dummies," then I'd be grateful to you. And thanks in advance, in any event, for any time or attention you pay to this item.

Oh, and, BTW, none of YOU are in my fantasies, just yet, anyway, but, for an easily affordable processing fee, I'm certain that satisfactory arrangements can be made to meet your needs.

     We finance.

              Bob

Hey, yo, hepty-doop!

OK