Is imaging the same as backup? When I do the Windows backup, it looks like it only chooses My Documents, Favorites, Desktop and Cookies, and it doesn't backup any programs that I see (although I don't know this). If imaging is different, how is that best done? I have no desire to keep track of the installed programs other than being able to reinstall them all. If imaging solves this problem, then that's great.

Thanks for the advice on the second harddrive, I'll go that route.

Richard P.

Tony B wrote:
Yes, just buy a new hard drive and install to that. Keep the whole old
drive as a backup.

Monumental waste of time "keeping track of the programs you
installed". You should have the programs you USE on your C partition
and that should be imaged daily.

It looks like I'll have to reinstall my Windows XP operating system in
 the near future. Is there a simple program that can document and print
 out a copy of all the existing programs I currently have on the
 computer? I want to keep track of the ones I have added without having
 to write down each one.

 Second, any suggestions for the best way to backup files in preparation
 for the reinstall? I tried backing up to a 160GB Seagate external drive
 but it stopped at 4GB, which apparently is the limit for FAT32. One
 thought is to buy a second internal harddrive and just copy everything
 over to it and then after reinstall, use the second hard drive as
 permanent data storage, with the primary drive holding the operating
 system. Any suggestions will be appreciated.