(My emphasis in Betty's message.)

My parents built our home in Miami, FL in 1949. At that time, in that place (from my childhood memory), homes were built individually, and our home and the others in our neighborhood had solar water heaters. They were simple affairs, inexpensive, just a galvanized steel pan containing copper pipes zigzagging to and fro a few times, then filled with tar and covered with glass. In the Miami sun, ours provided all of our hot water needs on all but a handful of days per year; and an electric heater in the storage tank took care of those days.

Then the area's population began to grow rapidly, and tract homes began to be built. The Florida Power and Light company offered those builders incentives and authorized them to advertise their homes as "Gold Medallion All- Electric Homes". No solar water heaters allowed.

Think of those hundreds of thousands of homes, broiling in the Miami sun for all of those years, burning all of those tons of fossil fuel to heat water, that could have been heated by the sun!

[We did not have air conditioning. We just opened our windows and there was enough space between the homes to allow enough of a breeze for us to feel comfortable.]