> A a 64K data stream would consume less than 1% of a slow Ethernet (10
> Mbps) LAN. So providing good VIOP in house would be no problem. The
> capacity problem only happens on the WAN.

Not necessarily... any two modern computers copying a large file over a
LAN can easily saturate a 10 or 100Mbps LAN (at least point to point).
Bigger VOIP installations typically implement traffic prioritization
(which is one of the reasons Cisco loves them), but I expect that if you
were careful about your LAN layout in a small business it would be fine.

> So I'm thinking that a system that uses IP in house with the option of
> connecting to either the PSTN or an IP network would be the wisest thing
> to shop for today.

FWIW- When I was a small biz IT consultant I had 4 different clients in
the last 3 years in the 10-30 employee range go through a diligent phone
system selection process (which I was not involved with).  All of them
considered the typical VOIP systems offered to the small business
market.  One chose an Avaya VOIP system, the others all went with
traditional NEC systems.

There were two features that sold the one client on VOIP: the ability to
inexpensively host their own conference calls (they were an NGO and had
been paying a fortune for international conference calling) and the
ability to place fully-functional extensions at remote locations that
connected to the office system via Internet.  None of the other
organizations had a particular need for either of these features, and
considered the VOIP systems to be more expensive and relatively
untested.  The NEC systems have been completely reliable.

Getting back to T1, I didn't read the whole thread, but would suggest an
alternative to T1 that is more reliable, faster, and far cheaper: a DSL
and a cable connection together.  This provides complete redundancy,
with no shared infrastructure between the two carriers, and there are
several SMB firewalls / routers that have two WAN ports and can do
*outbound* load balancing for Internet traffic even on low-end
connections with dynamically-assigned IP.  My favorite is the Snapgear
SG560, but Sonicwall also does this well (with appropriate upgrades).

-Robert