I'm no authority, but I can't help wondering if the first tech put a filter on the line, either on the pole or somewhere on or in your house. If I were you I'd look at all the connectors you can see for tubular
connector a couple inches long, and remove it.
It's just a possibility.

Scott McClure wrote:
I currently have Cox internet and analog cable
TV service (basic and expanded lineup) and when
I purchased a digital TV at the beginning of
the year and installed it, I was able to watch
the HD version of the local broadcast stations
as well as the regular signal fed through with
the analog lineup.  For example, DC's channel 4
is 34 on the Cox analog channel lineup, but I
was also able to view channels 4-1 and 4-2
after I set up my digital television.  It was
great to watch the Super Bowl in higher
definition.

A few months ago, I experienced some internet
service drops and a tech came out for service
call.  He changed out a splitter in the house
and got everything working again.  But after
that visit, the digital versions of local
broadcasts appeared very infrequently, most of
the time they didn't have a signal.

I called Cox back again a couple weeks ago and
asked them about the local digital channels
that were missing and they sent out a tech.
The tech looked everything over and told me
that since I had analog cable, I wasn't
supposed to receive the digital versions of the
broadcast stations.  He didn't explain anything
very clearly, but what I took away from the
exchange was that I wouldn't get the local
digital broadcasts unless I upgraded to digital
cable.  Somewhere in the conversation he said
that someone at Cox, or the earlier tech had
probably done something to squelch the digital
versions of the local broadcasts in my channel
lineup.  I told him that I could also just put
in an antenna and a switch and get the channels
OTA.

I'll add my two cents to the discussion by
saying that the analog lineup has been slowly
shrinking.  I sometimes get the feeling that
Cox is going to pull the plug on it someday.

Scott