> Apple haters will constantly remind you of the old problems
> [with iTunes] and not mention that recent versions work well.

Sigh.

1) I am not an Apple hater. I don't even know any Apple haters. I believe
that Apple makes, for the most part, very fine products. Your continuing
references to "Apple haters" reminds me of nothing so much as some
conservatives' view of anyone who disagrees with them as "America haters".

I do hate iTunes. That is not Apple. It is one Apple product.

2) It WAS a recent version of iTunes that I had so much trouble with. In
fact, it was the current version as of a month or so ago. I had that same
amount of trouble with it (to wit, constant and endless) as I have had with
every other Windows version of iTunes that I've tried.  It is, as far as I
can tell, a very, very poorly written piece of software.