Your referenced article on Hot Swapping http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot-swapping indicates that we are talking about 'Hot Plugging', not Hot Swapping. So I will use the updated term. I am not 100% sure of the future, but the article I found indicates that it was never intended to be used that way. So far as external drives go, Early Mac's had external SCSI drives for easy expansion, but plugging them in while the system was running would damage the electronics. Even though eSATA can be unplugged without damaging the electronics, the logic of doing so must be considered... was this the boot drive? I would not expect Vista to be able to do this anytime soon, nor XP without some modifications to the device drivers (if available).

 - B

----- Original Message ----- From: "mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <COMPUTERGUYS-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM>
Sent: Saturday, July 26, 2008 7:07 PM
Subject: Re: [CGUYS] esata

Unlike PATA, both SATA and eSATA are designed to support hot-swapping.
However, this feature requires proper support at the host, device (drive),
and operating-system level. In general, all SATA/devices (drives) support
hot-swapping <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot-swapping> (due to the
requirements on the device-side), but requisite support is less common on
SATA host adapters <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_adapter>

That's from wiki on esata...untrue? I've never heard that esata was not hot
swappable, I mean isn't that the point of external drives?

Mike