The problem is that often there just isn't enough context to realize
that the person is trying to be humorous/ironic/sarcastic.  In
traditional print, you'd have lots and lots of written words to
realize this.  In realspace, you can judge the body language of the
person making the statement.  In brief email exchanges, sometimes you
need substitutes for those cues - and thats the purpose of the smiley.

I don't think the assumption is that the person won't "get" the
joke... its to make sure that people realize it _is_ a joke.