Something that is completely locked down is of course "secure" but of
reduced/little usability.  I have my Eudora, with all data and setting files in
the Eudora directory, on a portable hard drive that I can plug into any machine
(in principle) and run my full mail client with all of its features, address
books, filters, and archives, etc. from any machine that isn't locked down.
Thus, in my circumstance, having a desktop machine at every location that I'm
likely to want to use e-mail, I can haul around a simple USB hard drive and no
more. It works just fine on my Win2K and WinXP machines. I think I'm going to
find myself out of luck on a Vista machine.

Sort of like having a gun in one's home for self defense, but the gun has to be
disassembled, with a trigger guard lock locked in place, and in a locked
cabinet, with no ammunition stored within reach (or whatever the new DC rules
are).

Fred Holmes