So what is the harm of a test message?  It isn't trying to defraud the
recipient.  It takes no significant space on the hard drive.  The delete key
readily dispatches it. The eye readily skips over it. The word "test" is
readily filtered for blocking if you really don't want to see such messages at
all.  It's just your secular religion's value system that says that test
messages aren't to be sent.  I for one couldn't care less if test messages are
sent.  I think your message complaining about the test message is a lot more
irritating than the test message itself.  "If you can't say something nice
don't say anything at all."  If my fellow list member's anxiety is relieved by
sending a test message, I'm happy to receive the test message and thereby
relieve his anxiety.

Fred Holmes