I'm asking what else can be done to fix the problem.
BACKGROUND
My daughter just started her freshman year in college, taking her PC with Windows XP Pro with her. She emailed me this week saying that she can't access the optical drive after the move: it spins for a few seconds when a disk is inserted but it does not appear in My Computer.

I replied to first check Belarc Advisor, then go to Device Manager. Also open the case and check to see if the data cables are firmly connected.

HER RESPONSE
She writes: "I went to belarc and the drive did not show up on the list, so i did as you instructed and went to control panel > system > device manager; when I looked under the DVD/CD-ROM drives the thing had a little yellow circle with an explanation point in it. I clicked it and a little tabbed window popped up, under the Device status section it says "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

MY LATEST ADVICE TO HER
"First, is there a way of fixing the driver in Device Manager? Try right-clicking on the yellow circle.

"If this doesn't work, try following the directions on this page: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314060
Print out the instructions before starting."

I also suggested downloading a new driver, but she doesn't know the model of optical drive and says she can't open the case because she lacks a screwdriver.