So happens that I was looking last night a Newegg for a USB external hard drive, and I discovered that these drives cost about $80 -- $100 regardless of whether they were 300 GB or 500 GB; the 100 GB size cost about $60 -- $90. If it were me, I would buy the 500 GB or larger at a cost of around $100.

Ranbo wrote:
I need to get something for computer back up.  Would an external hard drive
be the simplest, most economical way to go?  If so, what issues or features
should I take into account?  I have a 110 gig hard drive, so wonder how many
gigs of back up I need.  See some on sale that hold 300, 500 or, I think,
1,000 gig.  At the moment, would mostly be to back up text, email and some
photos, but guess I'd like some flexibility in the future to back up more
photos, audio files and maybe some videos.  I'd like to spend less than
$100.  Can anyone suggest a good product to meet these parameters and where
to get it?

Thanks,

Randall