> Vista is hardware agnostic- if the hardware meets the specs.
>
> MAC OSX is pickier but yields a more consistent experience given the
> limited number of platforms it runs on.  Going MAC eliminates some of the
> weirder PC problems even if you only run Vista on it.

This illustrates a very fundamental difference in culture between the 2
platforms:  choice vs. dictates.  I'll take choice every time.  (I'd say
that Linux falls solidly on the choice side.).  Ironically, from what I have
read and heard about the 2 companies' internal cultures, it's the polar
opposite of their market cultures.

Tom loves to crow about iPhone sales, but never mentions how Windows Mobile
phones consistently outsell the iPhone by several factors.  Again, this is a
result of choice, choice among devices and carriers.

You could almost frame this as a free market (Windows) vs. command economy
(Mac), which considering the characters around here and where they fall on
that spectrum, isn't all that surprising where they line up with their
computers.