On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 12:46 PM, Jeff Wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> There's no possible, it is.  I suppose someone would run their SAN/NAS
> as a JBOD (just a bunch of disks), but all that does is give you a
> little extra storage at the cost of fault tolerance for the drives.
> Better to have the best of both worlds, if you can swing it.

RAID has some possible uses nowadays.  Sure.  Let's see if we can recap.

1.  Those with just a little money or those with a lot of money generally
find that the risk associated with "hardware RAID" is not worth the
expense.  The small benefit from a possible disk drive failure is far
outweighed by the huge risk from a RAID controller failure or any related
hardware failure that makes the RAID disks useless.  (Just try taking the
RAID disk drives out of one machine and putting them in a new one.)

2.  New computers spec'ed to just act as a NAS or database server are pretty
darn inexpensive.  You don't need lots of RAM or fast CPU as a rule (as
always, YMMV).  Because of this, in most cases it makes more sense today to
duplicate storage on multiple disks and computers - not just multiple disks
in one computer.  Again, if you do the cost-benefit analysis, you have
started moving away from RAID in one machine.

3.  Large installations, like Google Ad-Sense, go ahead and use
software-RAID (for increased reliability and portability) on the distributed
computers.

Bottom line?

1.  RAID controllers fail, causing complete data loss and useless disk
drives.  Huge risk for small benefit.

2.  Software RAID has fewer parts to fail and the disks can be read on other
machines.

3.  Distributing data among multiple computers and disks is affordable for
even the smallest businesses.  And it is the current best practice.

4.  Backups are always important no matter how you are increasing
availability through redundancy.

--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own