On Tue, 16 Sep 2008, b_s-wilk wrote:

> HP had its own OS almost 20 years ago, but it was only for
> enterprise. It was pretty good. We used HP/UX for the workstations
> to do 3D grid modeling for robots. With a good GUI, it might be
> competitive with OS X. How's it with CDE?

Had?  HP still develops HP-UX.  (Speaking of HP-UX, someone once
said 'aren't you glad they didn't call the company Packard Hewlett?')
Several years ago, HP-UX was a more popular server OS than Solaris
was in the financial institutions.  Don't know if still is.  Last
year or so I saw that the terminals at Home Depot's design center
were using HP-UX.

When HP acquired Compaq, the latter had already bought DEC which had
the Alpha chip and Digital Unix, which later re-branded as Tru64
Unix.  IMHO, Alpha and DU combo was way ahead of Sun/Solaris, HP-UX,
IBM/AIX at that time.  Of course, HP lead by Carly Fiorina, to pluck
a name out of today's politics, made sure Alpha chip got nowhere
(among other moronic stuff Ms. Fiorina did to that company).

CDE (Common Desktop Environment) came with, among others, Solaris,
AIX, and DU too.  To me, that had a very clunky interface.  It was
supposed to be an improvement over the ancient window managers like
TWM, but CDE was very slow and offered no real GUI breakthroughs.

I haven't looked at other Unixes, but Solaris these days comes with
GNOME, just like many Linux distros.  As mentioned in my previous
post in this thread, when you get used to one environemnt, the
others are a bit difficult to get used to.  I, of course, think that
GNOME is superb and MacOSX aqua and Windows' GUI are lacking.  :-)