I have just done this as a precaution. It worked fine. I had a new WD harda drive that came with a CD and a program to do it. You install the new drice as slave, but with the old boot and follow the instructions. Then disconnect the old boot drive, make the new Master and everything
works fine. No pain.

I did not need to use Ghost that also allows for that.

Marcio