Thanks for info. My problem is that I don't know which are installed and which aren't. There are about 2000 typefaces. What happens if I follow your instructions to select all of them but about 600 are already installed?

Jeff Wright wrote:
I want to install new typefaces & fonts on a computer.  I already know
how to do so using Windows XP Control Panel.  But there are a lot of
fonts to install, so I wonder if just to copy & paste them to the
Windows Fonts folder will do.  Can I?

No.  Highlight a chunk of the fonts, right click on the highlighted font
files and choose "Install."  Windows will put them in the Fonts folder
correctly.