Tom Piwowar wrote:
The modem either belongs to or is sold to you by the internet service provider. It will be what their system requires and you really don't want to fool with their requirements. Use whatever they think works best. And you don't mess with any of the settings in their box. All you care about is getting a good signal coming out of your end to their box.
As I mentioned before, I use a Motorola Surfboard(mine is an SB5100) instead of Comcasts crappy modems. I got 2 of their dud rentals in a row one year and then bought my own. Several times their techs have reacted with relief when I told them my modem was a Surfboard.