Have you seen this alternative to Finder?
http://cocoatech.com/
I guess it's been around for a while.

Tom Piwowar wrote:
http://code.google.com/p/openmeta/

A while back we were discussing an alternative system for organizing files using tags instead of a folder hierarchy. I gave GMail as a well-executed example and mentioned that OS X has this under the hood, but it is hard to get at. Taking us one step closer is this API (for OS X of course).

See ironicsoftware.com for some application of this. Maybe they will FTFF since Apple can't manage!