I agree with your analysis.

John Emmerling wrote:
The situation in both Iraq and Afghanistan is very complicated.  When
campaigning, the president had to present a simplified view of this, so as
to not leave the electorate behind.
However I do believe he and his staff grasp the subtleties as least as well
as you or I.  I would like to think they would not lead us into a quagmire
with their eyes open, just to prove a political point.

Ironically, the economic crisis helps somewhat.  If Obama gave the
impression he plans to kick butt in Afghanistan, but doesn't actually get
around to doing so (because it may accomplish very little), the public is
not so likely to notice, having bigger worries at the moment.

Sorry if I sound like an apologist.

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 8:46 PM, Rev. Stewart Marshall <