I think you're still misunderstanding the concept. Or purposely trying
to obfuscate. Implementation of cloud computing hasn't really been
possible until recent broadband penetration. But you insist on talking
about 'many years' as if you've been avoiding a cloud by choice all
this time.

FWIW, my wife has been using Yahoo mail's web interface for years (a
real cloud), and she's never lost an email, nor is she likely to
anytime soon.

Broadband penetration in the US is an oxymoron.

I use Yahoo mail too. I've lost email. Their servers have crashed, for as long as a week--or more. Had to contact my remailer in Munich to change email. I hate the new Yahoo Mail interface. It's more cumbersome than the old interface. Perhaps your wife hasn't been using it as long as I have. That's why my email is spread out on servers around the world--and archived locally, too.

As for the cloud, that's something that Larry Ellison of Oracle has been pushing for years, but not quite possible until recently with greater storage capability, faster/better apps, faster processors, more broadband, more players. Makes sense for corporations, and for individuals who need to use expensive software, but not all the time, and have fast reliable broadband. The cloud is a new name for an old idea. Technology has improved enough recently to implement it. It still sucks for individual users [except, maybe, email]. Give me fast, reliable, cheap broadband first, then I'll consider the "cloud". Otherwise, it's just a pipe dream.

Now Ellison is claiming that cloud computing may not be so profitable after all.

Betty