When doing a web search, every site bears the legend "this site may harm
your computer".

I had a sort-of similar problem with IE a couple weeks ago -- every site was going to do harm and I thought I had a virus. Turned out I had checked the calendar in the tray to find a date and inadvertently closed it without checking that I had gone back to the current date. Seems unlikely you would have done that but just check to be sure your clock is correct before you start running down other stuff.

Warm regards
Gail Miller