Note that if you are like me and want to use POP that doesn't stop you from using Gmail. I have all my e-mail forwarded to Gmail from the various addresses I have and then use a POP connection to download the mail to my desktop. I just check the Gmail spam filter every few days (it does a good job).

It has the added benefit that I can access my e-mail from anywhere or find an old one that I've deleted from my desktop, without forcing me to do web-based e-mail which I don't prefer.

Re: Spam Blocker
From:
Jeff Wright <jswri...@gmail.com>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2009 21:01:14 -0500

Except we have seen Comcast blocking good mail as spam. Turning up your
settings will probably make that problem even worse. I would not trust
Comcast at all.

Agreed.  Even with the spam filtering turned off, they still filter email
and incompetently at that.  I switched to Gmail and never looked back.

If you decide to stay on POP3 email, Spampal is a good filter. Thunderbird
has a good native filter as well.  Do yourself a favor and dump OE.