He should make sure the link he uses to mail is https: not just http: .
He should use strong passwords, and try to avoid _typing_ passwords.
He should ensure a firewall is in place and active (the built in
Windows firewall is fine if he's using anything after about WinXP
SP2).

That's all the average home user needs to worry about.

If he's got Vista, he should run as a normal user, and not just click
on every notice that pops up without understanding it.