At 01:42 PM 3/1/2009, you wrote:
Date:    Sun, 1 Mar 2009 13:19:32 -0500
From:    Tom Piwowar <t...@tjpa.com>
Subject: Re: Anyone for 8.3? [Was: MS Sues TomTom for Using Linu

Rich said:

>Of course it has not had any updates for over 5 years but I still use
>it daily and back it up religiously.
>
>Also a friend who is over 80, uses a really old word processor that
>requires the 8.3 file format and only prints to a parallel connected
>printer. And it does everything she wants.  I have tried to bring her
>into the 21st century but she resists.

TP said:

Question: If you use an 8.3 file name, refraining from using a longer
name, will these applications be able to access the file? In other words
do these applications need some special sauce in their filenames or will
they work if you simply refrain from using longer names?

They will not access a files called data12~1.xxx as the ~ mark won't seem to work in some of the programs, Basic can read a 8.3 file with the ~

PS: I still use gwbasic.exe and write programs in Basic. Works.. and basic requires the 8.3. I have written many basic programs to read and write windows files. I just enjoy a simple solution to a complicated problem.

Most windows programs are completely satisfied if you use a 8.3 filename.

Rich