I think I'm getting it now. Apparently I've been laboring for years
under the belief that DHCP has to be disabled to forward ports. All I
really have to do is ensure the DHCP server doesn't give out my own
static address, which is configured on the computer, not the router.

I tried installing Simple Port Forwarding and it looks nice. It is
just a front end for the router, but it simplifies a lot of things.
Since I already have this router set up the way I like it, I don't
really need SPF, but I hope I remember it the next time I buy a router
for myself.