This is one of the best reasons for ALL U.S. mobile phone carriers to switch to GSM. With Verizon and Sprint, if you change to another carrier or plan, you often must buy a new phone. When Cavan bought an iPhone from AT&T, he unlocked his Sony-Ericsson phone and gave it to me to use with T-Mobile. If Verizon used GSM instead of CDMA, you could keep your phone and switch carriers, assuming that there's coverage in your area.

Does your smartphone/PDA have WiFi? If not you may need a new one anyway. Are there any used ones you can get? eBay? Are there any other third party carriers that also use the Verizon network in your area? How about Alltel? Verizon owns them but has different plans.

Cavan also gave me his iPod Touch when he got his iPhone to combine his phone/wifi. The Touch is terrific with WiFi, as long as there is an open network [library, schools] or one where I already have an account, like at Starbucks. I have a 1st gen Touch. The second gen Touch can get software to unlock bluetooth, and to use it as a flash drive. Do you want to have a WiFi phone? Are there enough open networks where you can use the Touch?

Verizon is changing the way they price plans and how the devices work
on the plans.

My son wanted a new phone and purchased it off Ebay.

Turns out the new phone will only work with one of their new plans.
(Their rules not mine) So I had to change plans, problem is I have a
Motorola Q and it is a Smartphone/PDA. Cannot have a plan with
Internet access while I have a Smartphone/PDA becasue they want me to
buy a separate (read more costly) plan for that phone.

We finally got it done, but I have to have my PDA/Smartphone as a
secondary line with a lesser plan. 1.99 per megabyte downloaded.
(expensive)

Also I will not be able to get another smartphone/PDA without getting
a Data plan (I presently do not have one.)

Do not tell me to change carriers as they are the only one with the
best coverage in my area.

So I am seriously looking at my next phone not being a PDA, but I
will need something that has a lot of what my PDA does, contacts etc.
Documents the like. (Plus I use it as a book reader)

So I am looking at what the Touch can do.

Stewart