I try to run antivirus, adware, and a proactive run of spinrite if I have
time when I visit my folks.

Yeah, I'm admin on my Mom's machine.  Which I built for her.

I find that keeping the well-meaning relatives out of the loop is
the challenge.

Sister #1 gave me holy hell last year (or maybe the year before)
and threw a fit when she couldn't get admin rights.  To this day
I still don't know what she wanted to install but I'm guessing it
wasn't on my approved list.

I avoided a direct conflict on this one by using the somewhat
plausible excuse that I was overseas at the time and didn't have
a telephone.

Apparently she overlooked my itinerary and the perfectly obvious fact that she could have sent an email at any time. I don't think
I could have pulled off getting out of that without possibly even
more repercussions...

But she lost focus on her original objective and was happy with
being mad at me, she still alludes to this.

At least I didn't have to tell her point-blank that I wasn't giving up
the keys.