No special software should be needed. I use a logitech trackman marble (a track ball) and have used mice as well. They just worked. What mouse are you using?

If you are doing a p2v conversion of an already activated copy it should not prove an issue. One good way is to hook up an external drive and p2v it under Windows (with VMware's free utility) to that drive. Then just copy the VM over to your Mac once back in OS X.

Matthew