There might be non-malware problems. FWIW, I saw that kind of flaky behavior in an NIS version (not sure which) under Vista but couldn't pin down the cause. I suspect in many cases that NIS detected a pending update during startup and something got confused. However, (anecdote alert) the new Norton 360 has been much better, and I haven't seen any real flakiness with it so far.

-Andy

Christopher Range wrote:
Is there a bug/virus/trojan that causes the program to intentionally think, the computer is not protected? I have Norton Internet Security 2009. Sometimes it shows that the computer is protected, with a green checkmark and, sometimes it shows the computer as not being protected with a red 'x'. This happens on a daily basis. So I am wondering if there is something that causes the program to say the computer is protected, when it isn't and, vice versa.

I will check online but, anyone who has encountered this sort of problem, please let me know.

Christopher