One thing to look at is the receiver portion of the converter. In
general, I think older TV receivers had better reception capability
because it was so important with everyone using an antenna. With the
advent of cable, the manufacturers were able to cut back on the
quality of the receiver and happily did so. I imagine shortcuts have
been made on the converter boxes as well. Not sure where you can
compare converter box receiver strengths.

The second issue is the age and condition of the antenna. Don't know
your specifics but if you are able to get a lot of analog channels, a
decent UHF/VHFantenna should be able to do about the same. The newer
it is, the better the connections between the vanes and ribs. You'll
have to look on the antennaweb.org site for the actual frequencies of
the channels you want to watch, and then match your antenna
accordingly. Keep in mind that the frequencies might change from UHF
to VHF at the stations discretion, come June. As a rule, VHF signals
are better than UHF when it comes to getting the signal to your house,
so that might help there.

If you are going to go to the trouble of putting up the antenna,
you'll want to install an amplifier. Given the difficulty of the
installation, it will be easier this way. You can always not use it.
However, as an installer once told me, "if the signal isn't there, it
can't be amplified".

Richard P.