> The NIF is an experimental
> facility for fusion research. If it's successful, then energy companies will
> profit hugely from research that they either can't afford, or are too
> short-sighted to fund.

I understand that.  It's also a project that is:

600% over budget;
8 years behind schedule;
and won an award for that.

I only included that article as an example of the folly of looking to
the govt. as a mechanism for "science," as was so loudly crowed here.
Sure, you'll get science, and whole lot of waste and politicizing of
science too.

But, I get it, it's Team Blue time; when all is good and righteous.

And let's be clear about something:  there is a role for govt in
funding scientific research.  I just don't have on the partisan
blinkers and make silly pronouncements about "science" "coming back"
now that the right people are in charge.