OK Betty I keep hearing this and many people think that old PC's just get junked. Not so.

The local school has been running Win95 and Win98 PC's for many years. They have not upgraded to Vista and a lot of their computer are probably 6-7 years old.

I run old stuff at home. I just took out of service a Duron (AMD) 800 MHZ desktop. Only because I have a surplus of computers.

I tend to recycle a lot of computers well beyond normal life cycle by putting in new HD's and stuff.

I have a bunch of old Mac stuff that is unusable today. Outdated just like PC stuff.

A well maintained PC is usable for a very long time. OS's may upgrade, but not all OS upgrades are needed. I know folks that were still running 98SE a year ago.

Even Apple with the advent of OSX could not guarantee compatibly of software.

Any major upgrade of OS's will cause compatibility problems.

I do know that Vista has gotten over the hump in that respect, and I understand that Win 7 will include a compatibility mode for XP.

Stewart