I agree with all. Have you ever texted? I tried once and realized how stupid the concept was. Why not just call, and if they weren't available, leave a voice message? Text messaging is stupid. I'd never pay for it as a parent. I don't use it as an adult. So my feeling is, unless you're camping or elsewhere needing emergency contact, cell phones are a pain in the butt, especially when given to children. For those who want to keep track of their kids, I like the chip implant idea best.
Jeff M