Interestingly enough when I got my economics degree I did not have a grade problem.

In the historical example there often was a deed of sorts to a commons - a provision in the royal charter of a town would designate certain lands as commons as the town was recognized as having a corporate existence separate from any individual townspeople.

This is distinct from a market, wherein the crown might grant a monopoly on trade out of a port or such to a foreign land, but could not control what happened on the other end.

Matthew