As the owner/user of half a dozen networked XP machines that date back quite a few years and have half to one meg of ram and under 2 MHz processors, I have to ask myself what advantage there is of Win7 over XP. I am not a gamer or need to deal with video files; I don't watch TV on my PC (or even on the TV for that matter), and my main use for the computers is Email, Web surfing, some light document preparation and reading, as well as the handling of images from my digital camera. As a retiree, why should I be forced to "upgrade" from XP to Win7, especially if it means replacing some/all of my machines (that now work just fine) with brand news ones at considerable expense and time, plus the hassle of moving files over, buying upgrades to existing applications (if they are even available), replacing hardware that may not have new drivers, etc?

I am not on a crusade or anything, I am just curious as to the rationale for such an "upgrade".

Mike

Chris Dunford wrote:
From the MS lapdogs over at InfoWorld:

"Windows 7 drives a wedge of innovation into the heart of the Save XP
camp

"It's true: Windows 7 will drive the single biggest renaissance in
Windows application design since the debut of Windows 95 nearly 15
years ago. ... As I pored over the various examples of Jump List variations and animated Taskbar icon overlays, it struck me just how
much the Windows UI has evolved with Windows 7. For the first time in
recent memory, I'm actually excited at the prospect of seeing how
third-party developers exploit the myriad new conventions."

http://infoworld.com/d/windows/windows-7-drives-wedge-innovation-heart-save-xp-camp-861