> That claim might have been true when Garmins, Tom Toms and the like were
> a geek toy, but would you care to explain why most GPS units default to
> a female voice?

I don't know about yours, but my TomTom has Homer Simpson as the voice.

I bought that one, but TomToms have several standard voices to choose from
out of the box, both male and female.  You can even have one with a British
accent, if you're into having a stern nanny correct your naughty, naughty
driving.

Also available are John Cleese and Mr. T.