Although it would be nice to cite a reference for the "world's health
statistics", I suspect that if Cuba looks good in any such listing, it is
due to the "Mussolini made the trains run on time" principle.  Cuban
physicians and other health workers do as they are told.  I doubt anyone in
authority there is telling them to report anything that would jeopardize
Cuba's high ranking in these statistics.
Please don't misconstrue what I have just said as a defense of the U.S.
system.  It has its virtues, but compared to some others, it ranks poorly
overall by most measures.  Nevertheless, I think the discourse is best
served when limited to countries with at least a smidgen of political
freedom.  Compared to Cuba, apartheid-era South Africa was a beacon of
democracy.