I may misunderstand you, but are you looking for the Gmail "recent mode"? See http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=47948
--Using POP on multiple clients or mobile devices

Jennifer Hiebert

On Sep 10, 2009, at 1:42 AM, db wrote:

Yes... there is something going on... intentionally by design I think. And it keeps me from doing things I occasionally want to / need to do. If I knew what it was... that might be the first part of a fix/ workaround.

db

Paula Minor wrote:
Now that you are all talking about this, I realized I've had problems with it too. I can send an email from my gmail acct to my gmail account all from Apple Mail with no problem. But if I send that message out and happen to check my mail on my laptop instead of the desk computer, I can no longer download it to my desk machine even tho the laptop is set to never remove messages from the server. And some msgs I've sent on my iPhone to myself never showed up. I"m glad I'm not alone.
Paula
US/IN
raven880atindy.net
I'm now at the age where I've got to prove that I'm just as good as I never was.....Rex Harrison