Typically the power adapter is to provide the electrical power some USB devices need to run.

Some memory sticks need the power to operate but printers and other devices such as that do not. A Mouse might need power, especially if it is wired.

You can buy laptop hubs for relatively cheap that do not have power adapters with them. I have one for my laptop.

Stewart